Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Lemon Cream Scones

When the weather turns warm I crave citrus. Lemon pound cake, freshly squeezed lemonade, lemon chicken, and lemon scones. For this morning’s breakfast I rummaged around in the fridge, grabbing anything lemony that I could find and tried out this recipe. Zesty and refreshing, thanks to the candied lemon peel that I added in place of the called for dried fruit, this was a wonderful way to start the morning.

Lemon Cream Scones

2 cups flour
¼ cup sugar
1 Tbsp. baking powder
½  tsp. salt
3/4 cup dried fruit such as cranberries, cherries, currants, or chopped apricots*
1 tsp. freshly grated lemon zest
1-1/4 cups heavy cream
3 Tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
½ cup confectioners’ sugar
2-4 Tablespoons heavy cream
1 Tbsp. freshly grated lemon zest

Preheat oven to 425°F.  Mix flour, 1/4 cup sugar, baking powder and salt in large bowl. Stir in dried fruit and 1 tsp. lemon zest. Add heavy cream and mix until just moistened. Turn out onto lightly floured board and knead gently. Roll or pat into a 10-inch circle, 3/4 inch thick. Cut into 8 wedges. Arrange wedges 2 inches apart on greased baking sheet. Brush with melted butter. Bake for 15-18 minutes or until lightly browned.  Remove to a wire rack to cool.

Mix confectioners’ sugar, cream and zest together in a small bowl until desired consistency.  Drizzle over cooled scones. Serve warm or at room temperature.

*I used leftover candied lemon from the holiday fruitcake for an extra zesty lemon taste

This post is linked to:



7 comments:

Lyndsay Wells said...

I wanted to reach right into the screen - looks so delicious!

Tracy's Living Cookbook said...

I love citrus! These look fantastic - so light and pretty in the sunlight! Glad to hear your life is getting back to 'normal' after all the upheaval! Hope the hubby is feeling better - that is scary.

Tracy's Living Cookbook said...

Those look so light and delicious! I love all things citrus. Glad to hear your life is settling down after such upheaval. Hopefully your husband is doing ok? that is very scary!

Jacqueline said...

Oh, wouldn't that be the best way to finish off my day (or start it for that matter!) These are so beautiful and count me in on anything citrus too. On Pinterest I have a whole lemon board.

So Domesticated said...

Love making treats that have citrus as an ingredient... your scones look delicious!

Jen said...

oh, how I love a good scone recipe! pinning this!

Javelin Warrior said...

I do love citrus scones, although I've never had the lemon variety. These sound delicious... I'm new to your blog, but always on the prowl for new foodies and found your blog via Susan's Savoring Time in the Kitchen blog...