Monday, March 26, 2012

Mocha Shortbread Cookies


It has been one heck of a month.  Thank you for sticking with me.  Between the jaunt between two houses (painting and decorating one, cleaning and de-cluttering the other), getting the mister out of cardiac rehab (can you say Cranky?), and my brand new LG washer exploding with a bang (trapping clothes inside the drum), I haven’t had a lot of time to bake.  But let's face it, when a girl needs a cookie, a girl needs a cookie and this combination of mocha and chocolate (not to mention one bowl/one pan ease), I swear, is the only thing keeping me sane.  It’s a Martha Stewart recipe straight out of her Cookies book and she gets a big thumbs up on this one.  These cookies are delicious and can be tossed together in a flash.  Baking them in a cake pan makes for a nicely shaped shortbread, easily removed without a bit of trouble.  The taste is densely chocolaty with a nice touch of mocha.  These cookies very well may keep me out of therapy.

Mocha Shortbread Wedges

1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 cup unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
2 teaspoons espresso powder
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar, plus more for sprinkling
Pinch of salt

Preheat oven to 350°F.  Line an 8 round cake or spring form pan with parchment paper. (Who has time for parchment?  I used Pam.) Sift together flour, cocoa powder, and salt.  Stir in espresso.

With an electric mixer with the paddle attachment, beat butter on medium speed until pale and creamy.  Add confectioners’ sugar and beat well.  Add flour mixture and beat on low speed until well combined.

Pat dough evenly into pan.  Bake 20 minutes, or until puffed at the edges.  Remove from oven, and let sit 5 minutes, then cut into 8 wedges.  Let cool completely on a rack.

  Sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar just before serving.
Cookies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature to up to 1 week.

Cooling in the pan.

This post is linked to:


5 comments:

~~louise~~ said...

Oh Gosh! What a week you've had. I don't know how you stay sane!!!

I'm sure these Shortbread Cookies are a huge pick-me-up!

Wishing you better days ahead, Pattie, thanks for sharing...

Maureen Hayes said...

Oh Pattie,

Please send these to me immediately! I NEED chocolate therapy so badly. Mom is still in the hospital and I am run ragged, I know I have been out of touch but I barely have time to come up for air. Please write when you can and send me these cookies!

Love ya!

Janet Rudolph said...

Sorry you had such a week. Things will get better. Chocolate is always the right choice for a cookie, and I can't wait to make these. Easy, peasy..as they say. Yummy! Great photos, too. Toasting you with chocolate..

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

Oh my gosh they look wonderful. I love shortbread! Wow, what a week you had! I'd need a treat too :)

Chatty Chics said...

Oh. my. goodness. They look fabulous but all your recipes do! You inspire me to get in the kitchen more! :)
Melody
One Chatty Chic