Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Smoky Crockpot Chili

I based this recipe on one that I found here.  I like peppers in my chili, so I added poblanos and green peppers.  I also added a little bit of Penzey’s Beef Roast Seasoning to give it a greater depth of meaty flavor.  It was delicious.  The chili and all of the toppings that I told you about yesterday made for one hearty bowl of chili.  I hope you'll give the recipe and toppings a try.

Smoky Crockpot Chili

4 tablespoons chili powder
2½ teaspoons ground coriander
2½ teaspoons ground cumin
1½ teaspoons garlic powder
1 teaspoon oregano
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 ½ pounds ground chuck
1 tablespoon minced onion
½ cup minced poblano
½ cup chopped green pepper
½ teaspoon beef roast seasoning (Penzeys)
1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
(15 ounce) can tomato sauce
2 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans

Mix first 6 ingredients together to create the seasoning mix; store in an airtight container in a cool, dry place.
In a skillet, cook ground beef until no longer pink; drain.  Add onion and 3 tsp. of seasoning mix.
In Crock-Pot, add tomatoes, tomato sauce, one can of beans and two more teaspoons of seasoning mix.
Place the other can of beans in a blender and process until smooth. (I put the beans into a medium bowl and used an immersion blender.)
Add beans and meat to the crock pot.  Stir together.  Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
This post is linked to:

1 comment:

~~louise~~ said...

Oh yes! Your Smoky Crockpot Chili just may be on the menu tonight. Let me check for the ingredients!

Thanks for sharing, Pattie