Thursday, March 1, 2012

Monterey Mushroom Soup


I wonder just how many of us pay any attention to the packaging when we open up a product.  More often than not, there is a recipe on that packaging and, since the goal is to sell more of that particular product, the recipe is generally very good.  I put this theory to the test this evening and made a bowl of mushroom soup using the recipe on the back of the Monterey dried mushroom package.  After his second bowlful, my husband decreed that it was the best mushroom soup he’d ever eaten.  I had to agree.  It is earthy and delicious, with a complex taste uncommon to most mushroom soups.  Give this recipe a try, and be sure to look carefully at the packaging on products that you buy before tossing it away, you may be in for a very pleasant surprise.



This post is linked to:

6 comments:

Andrea @Andreas Kitchen said...

Mmm- sounds like the perfect mushroom soup to me! Thanks for the recipe!

kitty@ Kitty's Kozy Kitchen said...

Thanks for trying the recipe and for your recommendation of it!!

Girl With Chalk said...

I love mushrooms, it looks so good!

~~louise~~ said...

I totally agree, Pattie. Many of the recipes we grew up with and learned to love came off the back of the packages they were bought in. Much testing and review once went into those recipes. Although, I'm not sure the test kitchens are up to par now.

The recipe reads good and if your husband can make such proclamations, it must be good!

Thanks for sharing

Maria said...

This sounds wonderful. Mushroom soup is one of my favorites! I love the depth of flavor that dried mushrooms bring to soups.

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

Oh my gosh, so many good recipes that you shared while we were on vacation! I love mushroom soup and while it may not win any beauty contests it's so delicious. I love the Madeira in this one!

I'm also drooling over your Mongolian Beef and Brioche!