Friday, November 4, 2022

Elaine’s Big Salad

 It has been my experience that “Seinfeld” is a lot like cilantro, you either like it or you don’t. I happen to like both, so when I learned of the publication of Seinfeld: The Official Cookbook I had to have a copy. I tried two recipes from the cookbook, and both were very good, so that bodes well for the rest of them. The first that I tried was this one for Elaine’s Big Salad. Essentially, it’s a Cobb salad, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t delicious. I liked the way that the avocado was sliced in the salad so that you get big bites of it. I also liked the quartered rather than chopped egg, and halved cherry tomatoes. It was a delicious combination. In the interest of full disclosure, I will say that I added a pinch of sugar and a pinch of oregano to the salad dressing to suit my own personal taste. Be sure to keep a watch on this page. Next week I’m going to share a recipe from The Soup Nazi.

 Elaine’s Big Salad

 For the dressing:

Juice of 1 small lemon
1½ T. Dijon mustard 
¼ c. extra-virgin olive oil
¾ t. sea salt
½ t. pepper

 For the salad:

1 large head iceberg lettuce, shredded
1 ripe avocado
2 hard-boiled eggs
4 strips cooked bacon, crumbled 
1 c. shredded cooked chicken 
½ c. grape tomatoes, halved 
½ c. crumbled blue cheese

To make the dressing: Combine all ingredients into a small mixing bowl and whisk vigorously to emulsify. Adjust the seasonings to taste. You may want to add more lemon juice depending on how flavorful your olive oil is. Set aside.

Using a paring knife, make a vertical cut all the way around the outside of the avocado, stopping when you hit the large pit inside. Pull the halves apart and discard the pit. While the flesh is still inside the skin, score the avocado meat into slices, and then scoop out using a large spoon. Set aside.

Peel the hard-boiled eggs and slice into quarters. Set aside.

Divide the salad toppings in half and arrange them in the two salads so that each one is displayed individually on the lettuce: Designate separate areas for the avocado slices, bacon crumbles, shredded chicken, eggs, tomatoes, and blue cheese.

 Top each salad with dressing and serve.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

5 comments:

Marie Smith said...

I would add a pinch of sugar too. Looks so good. Interesting with the larger pieces of egg and avocado.

Angie's Recipes said...

Not a fan of seinfeld, but the salad looks truly good.

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

It is a amazing how the way an ingredient is cut and its size does make a difference in the way a salad or dish is enjoyed. I too like the larger chunks in a salad. Looks delicious.

Rainbow Evening said...

look appealing....
thank you for sharing recipe

bread&salt said...

WoW this salad looks really very healthy and hearty. Thanks for the recipe. Happy November. Greetings.