Tuesday, November 8, 2022

Honey Gingerbread Pinecone Cookies

As you all know, I am not much of a baker. I know I precede every baking post with that disclaimer, but it’s true. Essentially, what I’m saying here is that if I can do something successfully then so can you. One of my least favorite things to make is cookies because they are so labor-intensive. That said, I have a particular liking for cookie molds because I find the results to be so charming. Cookie molds can be rather expensive, so when I saw this one on Amazon for around $10, I couldn’t resist. Plus, I love the pine cone image during holiday time.

Ready for the oven.

Yesterday I decided to give it a whirl, so I mixed up a batch of my honey gingerbread cookies and tried it out. I could not believe how beautifully this mold worked. If you are looking for a great gift for someone who enjoys baking, or eating cookies, here is your answer. The mold itself is deeply etched and, as you can see, produces a sharp, clear result.

Out of the oven.

Give these a try. They will be a pretty and delicious addition to your holiday cookie tray.

Deli paper source.

Honey Gingerbread Pinecone Cookies

 ½ c. Crisco

½ c. sugar

¼ c. molasses

¼ c. honey

1½ t. vinegar

1 egg, beaten

3 c. flour

½ t. baking soda

½ t. cinnamon

½ t. ginger

¼ t. salt

Bring shortening, sugar, molasses, and vinegar to a boil.  Cool; add egg.  Sift dry ingredients together.  Add to first mixture, mixing well.  Chill.  Press into cookie mold (See Notes). Place onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment or a Silpat.  Bake at 375°F for 8-12 minutes. Cool 5 minutes before removing from sheet.

 Notes: If molding cookies is new to you let me give you a couple of tips. First of all, don’t chill the dough; use it at room temperature. It’s much more pliable and will work its way into the small crevices of the mold much more easily. Second, don’t fret over it. Take a glob of dough, press it into the mold, and then using the heel of your hand, force it into all of those tiny spaces; let it overrun the mold. Once that’s accomplished, take a sharp knife, place the side of the knife blade at the base of the cookie mold and, using a sawing motion, saw off the excess dough in the same manner that you would fillet a fish. Turn the cookie mold on its side (the long side) and rap it firmly on a hard surface 4 to 5 times, and you will see it start to come loose. You can coax it out, or rap it a few more times and it will pop right out. I like to spray the mold with PAM every four or five cookies, just to make sure it comes out easily.

Plate Source.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

 

6 comments:

Marie Smith said...

That mould gives a nice result! Have a great day!

Angie's Recipes said...

They look so cool! I love the shape too. Can you use lard instead of Crisco? Crisco is nasty...

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

What a great find. Your cookies look amazing and so pretty for fall, Thanksgiving, and Christmas. I'm not much of a baker either and during Covid, lost my interest entirely in baking since we were not as active and didn't want to eat desserts ( of course we did but I didn't bake them) ...

Linda said...

I've never seen pinecone cookies, but those are beautiful! Seems like it would even make that delicious sounding dough taste even better.

Thelma said...

They are so pretty. Too bad I'm allergic to ginger. But I guess that could be substituted.

hugbandit7 said...

Gorgeous!!!