Wednesday, November 23, 2022

Roasted Tomato Soup


I have decades of experience in tomato soup consumption, but never have I had some quite this delicious. Using fresh tomatoes that are then roasted in the oven takes this over the top. The charred bits make it extra tasty and, thanks to the blending, some of these bits will be in every spoonful.  I had made a batch with the idea that I would put it in single serve containers in the freezer to enjoy during the winter. It was so good that it never quite made it to the freezer. If you grew up eating tomato soup like I did. You must try this one. It’s life changing.

Roasted Tomato Soup

Slightly adapted from howtofeedaloon.com

 Melissa’s Organic Roma tomatoes, sliced lengthwise

3 T. extra virgin olive oil

2 T. unsalted butter

1 yellow onion, diced

4 garlic cloves, minced

1 t. dried thyme

1 – 1½   t.  Kosher salt

½ t. freshly ground black pepper

1 28-oz. can crushed tomatoes

1 T. dried basil

1-2 T. sugar

2 c. chicken stock

2/3 c. heavy cream

 Preheat oven to 375°F. Place tomato halves on a baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil, and then sprinkle with salt and black pepper.

Roma tomatoes ready for the oven.

 Roast tomatoes for 1 hour. Remove from oven and set aside.

Roasted romas ready for the soup.

Heat 2 tbsp oil, or butter, in a large pot (or Dutch oven) over medium-high heat.

Look at that charred goodness.

 Add onion, and sauté for about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic, thyme, salt, and pepper. Sauté for another minute. Add crushed tomatoes, basil, and sugar to the pot. Lower the heat and simmer for about 10 minutes. Add the stock and the roasted tomatoes into the pot. Simmer for 30 minutes, stirring every now and then.

Use an immersion blender to purée the soup, or very carefully transfer to a blender or food processor to purée. This would most likely need to be done in a couple batches. Return the soup to the pot. Stir in the cream.

 Garnish as you see fit.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

 

4 comments:

Gina said...

I am going to print this one out to go with the immersion blender I am giving my daughter for Christmas!

Marie Smith said...

Last year I made tomato soup out of tomatoes I grew. So delicious! Nothing like it!

Latane Barton said...

Perfect for a cold winter's day! Thanks.

Linda said...

My husband loves tomato soup from a can, but I'm always down for a good tomato soup, and this one looks like a keeper.