Wednesday, October 26, 2022

A Literary Halloween

I decided to go in a different direction for Halloween this year inspired both by my love of Poe (I once had, in my youth, all 18 stances of his iconic poem, “The Raven” committed to memory), and by the fabulous offerings of Michael’s earlier in the season. The Poe bust and typewriter were two things I absolutely could not pass up.

I think this is one of my favorite tablescapes of all time. There are many layers here as you can see, from the chocolate brown table round, to the skeleton hand fabric, to the gauzy runner, all combine to give this table an ethereal look.

Simple black placemats are topped with tin chargers, on which I placed square black plates. Books, published in the 1700s (to give it a literary feel), were placed on top and serve to hold salad plates from Carly Dodsley, and then appetizer plates from the “Midnight Dreary” collection a number of years ago from Pottery Barn.

The skull coffee mugs are from Williams-Sonoma, a couple years back. A bit of sparkle is provided by Mikasa wine and water glasses in the “Parklane” pattern.


 The adorable mice place card holders really worked here, I thought, they can be found here.

 The amber tea lights, provide a bit of an unworldly glow, and can be found here.

The ravens were purchased years ago at a local shop, and have served me well over the years. The mirrored black flatware is a new addition this year, and I have found it quite versatile. You can find it here.

No matter how you plan to celebrate the year's spookiest of all nights, I hope you’ll do it with style.

 Happy Halloween!

 

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 

This post is linked to: Tablescape Thursday

 

9 comments:

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

I have to agree that you have some very interesting items in this festive Halloween tables-cape. I love the little mouse placard holder.

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

I have to agree that you have some very interesting items in this festive Halloween tables-cape. I love the little mouse placard holder.

Marie Smith said...

What a great setting! Fun for sure!

Linda said...

Love it all, especially that mirrored black flatware and the gauzy runner.

Barbara at Mantel and Table said...

Wow - that's great! I love all the individual elements and when you put them all together you've got a perfect Poe table! And those Nevermore plates are the coolest! Thanks for all the fabulous inspiration - from the bust to the books! Happy Halloween!

Debbee said...

Absolutely spooktacular!!! I love how you used the open books under the plates. Most special was the Poe bust and typewriter!

Kim said...

Pattie, what a great table! I love the typewriter with those mice - they are so cute. The Poe bust is a little different take on Halloween but just ties in the the Midnight Dreary PB appy plates on the Carly Dodsley salad plates, all on the open books - so clever. And of course the theme would not be complete without the ravens! Love it all!

thepaintedapron.com said...

Very very cool Pattie! So many wonderful touches, it's sophisticated spooky! Happy Halloween!
Jenna

The Tote Trove said...

Coolest Halloween table ever! The husband and I love Poe too and always get excited when there are Poe questions on Jeopardy! Not too long ago there was a whole category devoted to him, with a wonderful pun of a title that I, for the life of me, can't remember. Anyway, I love all the details in your dark display and agree that you couldn't pass up the bust and typewriter! Michaels is the best! 🖤