Thursday, October 27, 2022

Pumpkin Crumb Cake Muffins

I have had a lot of pumpkin muffins in my time, but none as good as these. I baked them Sunday morning shortly before number one son and my nine-year-old granddaughter were to arrive. Honestly, that girl can sniff out baked goods like nobody’s business. Once she was through the door, she made a beeline to the kitchen and stared at them telling me how good she thought they looked. (What that meant in kid speak was, “Give me one, please!”) She made so many yummy sounds while she was eating a portion of this muffin, that my son had to follow suit, and they both loved them. Well, just look at them!

They don’t require getting out a hand mixer, everything can be stirred together; you’ll dirty couple of bowls, but they are well worth it. Trust me.

Pumpkin Crumb Cake Muffins

From sallysbakingaddiction.com

1¾ c. flour

1 t. baking soda

2 t. ground cinnamon

1 t. pumpkin pie spice

½ t. salt

½ c. vegetable oil

½ c. sugar

½ c. packed brown sugar

1½ c. canned pumpkin puree

2 large eggs, room temperature

¼ c. milk, room temperature

Crumb Topping

¾ c. flour

¼ c. sugar

¼ c. packed brown sugar

1 t. pumpkin pie spice

6 T. unsalted butter, melted

Maple Icing

1½ c. confectioners’ sugar

2 T. pure maple syrup

2 T. milk

 Preheat oven to 425°F. Spray a 12-count muffin pan with nonstick spray or line with cupcake liners. This recipe makes 15 muffins, so prepare a second muffin pan in the same manner. Set aside.

 Make the muffins: In a large bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, and salt together until combined. Set aside. In a medium bowl, whisk the oil, granulated sugar, brown sugar, pumpkin puree, eggs and milk together until combined. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, then fold everything together gently just until combined and no flour pockets remain.

 Spoon the batter into liners, filling them almost full.

 Make the crumb topping: Whisk the flour, granulated sugar, brown sugar, and pumpkin pie spice together until combined. Using a fork, lightly mix in the melted butter until crumbs form. Don’t over-mix. Spoon crumbs evenly on top of the batter and gently press them down into the batter so they’re snug.

Bake for 5 minutes at 425°F and then, keeping the muffins in the oven, reduce the oven temperature to 350°F. Bake for an additional 16-17 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. The total time these muffins take in the oven is about 21-22 minutes, give or take. Allow the muffins to cool for 10 minutes in the muffin pan as you make the icing.*

 Make the icing: Whisk all of the icing ingredients together until combined and smooth. Drizzle over muffins and serve warm. Cover tightly and store at room temperature for 1-2 days or in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.

 * I pretty much feel the same way about regular size muffins as I do those fun size candy bars. Personally, I can have a lot more fun with a big candy bar that I can with a fun size, and I can enjoy large muffins more small. If you decide to make jumbo muffins, you can pretty much put all of the batter into all six wells of your jumbo muffin pan. Bake at 425°F for 10 minutes, and then reduce the temperature to 350°F and bake for an additional 20. That worked well for me.



 As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

5 comments:

Gina said...

OOhh...now all I need is someone to bake for! But seriously, those might be my Thanksgiving morning muffin!

Marie Smith said...

I was disappointed in a pumpkin apple cake I made recently. I cut the apple too small. Next time, I will leave the apple in bigger chunks. These look good!

Linda said...

Those look so tasty and moist, and the maple icing is a great idea. You are lucky to have a granddaughter who appreciates your good cooking.

Angie's Recipes said...

Gosh..look at that THICK layer of streusel!!! I am drooling terribly.

bread&salt said...

OMG.looks amazing. I am sure it must be fingerlickingly delicious.