Friday, October 28, 2022

Italian Sausage Soup


If you are anything like me, you can not get enough soup -- cold soups in the summer, broths in the early fall, and heartier varieties in winter. As I mentioned a couple of weeks ago, I have been making a lot of soup in the month of October, and pleased with every one of them. This one is the only one that contains meat, so it is hearty, delicious, very filling, and sure to please the carnivore in your life. Aside from browning and draining the fat off of the meat, I think this was the easiest one to make. It freezes well, so I am set for the winter…at least for the time being.

Italian Sausage Soup

 1 lb. Italian sausage

2 Melissa's shallots, chopped

1 c. sliced mushrooms

1 clove garlic, minced

32 oz. low sodium beef broth

1 14.5-oz. can Italian-style stewed tomatoes

1 c. sliced carrots
¼ t. salt

¼ t. freshly ground black pepper

1 14.5-oz. can Great Northern beans, undrained

1 small zucchini, cubed

2 c. torn fresh baby spinach

Heat a stockpot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add sausage, garlic, onions, and mushrooms; cook and stir until browned, 5 to 7 minutes; drain, return to pot. Stir in broth, tomatoes, and carrots; season with salt and pepper. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer 15 minutes.

 Stir in beans with liquid and zucchini; cover and simmer another 15 minutes, or until zucchini is tender.

 Remove soup from heat and add spinach; replace the lid and allow spinach to wilt. Stir until warmed through.

 As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

 

4 comments:

Marie Smith said...

I can imagine this soup in a thermos at a picnic somewhere soon.

Linda said...

I'm going to grab some Italian sausage and zucchini while we are at the store today and give this a whirl. I like hot soup even during the summer, but I just crave it this time of year.

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

I am like you when it comes to soup- I love it all the time.

bread&salt said...

Looks very healthy and hearty. Thanks.