Thursday, October 6, 2022

Spinach, Artichoke & Tortellini Soup

It’s October, and if you don’t have a pot of soup simmering on the top of the stove, or cooking and away in the crockpot, I want to know why! It’s soup season, everybody, the heartier, the better. I spotted this recipe on Jenna’s Painted Apron blog, and knew I had to try it. I tweaked the recipe a bit, simplified the cooking process, and it is a winner! It is velvety smooth, rich and delicious, with the taste of your favorite dip along with cheese tortellini. This is a wonderful combination of ingredients to comfort you all winter long.


Spinach, Artichoke & Tortellini Soup

Adapted from thepaintedapron.com

 2 T. butter

1 large yellow onion

Salt and pepper to taste

2 t. Melissa’s minced garlic

4 c. vegetable broth or chicken broth

1 14-oz. can artichoke hearts, drained & coarsely chopped

1 9-oz. pkg. frozen chopped spinach, thawed & squeezed dry

1 8-oz. pkg. cream cheese, room temperature

1½ c. grated Italian blend cheese

½ c. finely grated Parmesan

9 oz. frozen cheese tortellini

Few gratings fresh nutmeg

 Melt butter in a 6-qt. slow cooker set to high. Chop onion and add to slow cooker; season with salt and pepper. Cook for 3 hours, after which the onions will be caramelized.

Stir in minced garlic, broth, artichoke hearts, and chopped spinach. Cook for an hour.

 Stir in cream cheese and cook another hour.

 Stir in Italian blend cheese, Parmesan, tortellini, and nutmeg; cook for 30 minutes.

Stir and serve with additional grated Parmesan.

 As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

 

5 comments:

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

You know that I've got soup cooking especially since the weather turned rainy and cold for a few days. I made a butternut red lentil, and a leek and chickpea soup. I love anything with artichokes. Enjoy your soup!

Angie's Recipes said...

This looks so good and makes a complete meal! I love just how creamy it looks.

Linda said...

Gah Pattie, you make everything look SO good. Did you use marinated artichokes in this?

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

I generally do use marinated artichokes because I find they have more flavor, but I didn’t use them here.

thepaintedapron.com said...

Thanks for the shout out Pattie! Yes, yummy soup that will be made again soon!
Jenna