Saturday, June 15, 2013

Almond Yogurt Pound Cake

 

When it comes to cake, while I do quite enjoy all kinds, I find that I most enjoy the plain varieties, moist and flavorful, and able to be paired with toppingsor not; fresh fruitor not; an after dinner drinkor not.  We’re talking versatile!  I am also a HUGE fan of almond, so I decided to come up with a recipe that would satisfy my almond craving like no other, and I think that I’ve done it.  The best part?  The Greek Yogurt in this cake adds protein.  Can you believe a dessert with protein?!  Yep, in which case I would not look at you askance if you decided to have it for breakfast.


Almond Yogurt Pound Cake

1 stick butter, plus more for pan
1-1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup Chobani Vanilla Greek Yogurt
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for pan
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
3 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon Buttery Sweet Dough Flavor (or vanilla extract)
2 teaspoons almond extract

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Butter and flour a loaf pan and set aside.

In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar until well blended, 3-5 minutes.  Add yogurt and beat an additional minute.   In a medium bowl, sift together flour and baking soda.  Add dry mixture to creamed mixture, alternately with eggs, beating to incorporate after each addition. Add extracts and stir to combine. Pour into prepared pan and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes (more or less -- test with a toothpick for doneness). Cool cake in pan for about 5 minutes, remove to a wire rack under which you've spread waxed paper, and spoon on Amaretto Glaze, slowly, allowing it to saturate the cake. Drizzle Amaretto Icing over the top when completely cooled.

Amaretto Glaze:
1/4 cup plus 2 T. granulated sugar
3 tablespoons butter
2 T. Amaretto (or other almond liqueur)
1 tablespoon water

Bring sugar, butter, Amaretto, and water to a boil in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring often.  Reduce heat to medium-low, and boil, stirring constantly, 3 minutes. Remove from heat, and use immediately.

Amaretto Icing:
1 cup confectioners' sugar
2-3 tablespoons Amaretto (or other almond liqueur)

Combine the confectioners' sugar and Amaretto and drizzle over the cake.


This post is linked to:

5 comments:

Tracy's Living Cookbook said...

Pattie - this cake looks beautiful! I, too, am crazy for almond flavor. I often add almond instead of vanilla in my baking. I have been away from the blogging world lately. Good to be back!

~~louise~~ said...

Good Morning Pattie!

Yes indeed, I would love to have a piece of your Almond Yogurt Pound Cake with my morning coffee. Thanks for inviting me:)

Thanks for sharing...

bj said...

ummm, this sounds amazing. Gotta make it soon.
Have a beautiful weekend. :)

Ivy, Phyllis and Me! said...

Good Afternoon Pattie, I love almonds, ground, whole, skinned not skinned, then of course there is Amaretto....just a fabulous flavour.
I eat Greek Yoghurt more or less every day, so I am onto a winner with this cake.
I'm "all cooked up" for this weekend, but I shall certainly try it next week.
Thank you for the unique recipe which you created.
Have a lovely weekend.
Best Wishes
Daphne

Scribbler said...

I, too, am hooked on the flavors of almond. This looks so good! I am saving it.