Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Cheesy Potato Slices with Bacon and Scallions


Father's Day always seems like the herald of summer.  With it in the offing, I start thinking about cookouts, picnics, and barbecues; my whole attitude about food changes.  I begin to focus on quick, easy, and on making dishes that appeal to both young and old. These Cheesy Potato Slices are one of those foods. Equally appropriate at a picnic, or on a buffet, they also make great little appetizers.

I served these, believe it or not, with meatloaf. It was a surprisingly appropriate accompaniment.  Because I had them at dinner, I made the slices 3/4" thick so they were less crisp and reminiscent of potato skin appetizers, and more like a stuffed baked potato. Thin and crispy, or thick and tender, they will please everyone.

Cheesy Potato Slices with Bacon and Scallions

3 large russet potatoes, scrubbed and sliced into 1/2" thick slices
3 tablespoons olive oil
Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 cup chopped scallions

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F while you scrub and slice the potatoes.  Put potato slices into a large mixing bowl and toss to cover with olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Add a few shakes more olive oil if need be.

Place slices on a parchment lined cookie sheet. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until lightly browned on both sides, turning at 20 minutes.

When potatoes are done, remove pan from oven and top generously with bacon, cheese, and scallions. Return to oven for 1-3 minutes until the cheese has melted.

This post is linked to:

9 comments:

Marigene said...

Those look so good! I wish I could take pictures like yours...they are so sharp and clear.
Have a great week, Pattie...

Carole said...

Pattie, these look fantastic. I sure wish I had your artistry with photos. Cheers

Loy said...

Coming over from Full Plate Thursday. These look delicious, and your photos are amazing. I will be featuring these on my Friday Finds next week. Thanks for sharing.

bj said...

I'm going to make these...they look and sound delicious.
Over from Miz Helens

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

THese look right up MY alley! Hearty and yummy. A very good combination!

Miz Helen said...

I could eat these right now, they look fabulous! Hope you have a wonderful week end and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
Come Back Soon!
Miz Helen

Mary said...

Oh my...you had me at potato! Now to scrounge up some for breakfast :)

AG said...

OH WHOA! :) I just finished breakfast but my tummy started rumbling again after seeing these! :) Thank you so much for linking up with me this week at Tasty Tuesdays! I’ve pinned this & shared it with my followers!

Miz Helen said...

Congratulations!
Your recipe is featured on Full Plate Thursday this week. Hope you are having a great day and enjoy your new Red Plate.
Come Back Soon!
Miz Helen