Thursday, June 27, 2013

Speculoos Pancakes


I have been hearing a lot about Speculoos Cookie Butter lately, and have pretty much ignored most of it.  You see, I had heard a lot about Nutella® as well and, it turns out, I wasn’t wowed.  I love chocolate, and I like hazelnuts, but somehow this combination of a chocolate-like substance (Is it really chocolate?) and hazelnuts left me cold.  I know that I am in the minority here, and I accept that.  So, after buying a  jar of Speculoos Butter during a recent trip to Trader Joe’s I expected to have the same reaction.  No!  Yum!  I am talking serious yum!  This stuff is great.  I taste-tested it right from the jar, and could have been satisfied with that alone, but then the St. Louis Post-Dispatch published a recipe for Speculoos Pancakes, and I was off and running.  This is pancake heaven -- slightly spicy, slightly sweet, and totally delicious.  If you haven’t decided what to make for Sunday breakfast, the decision has been made.

You can read the recipe online here, but for the sake of convenience, I have reprinted it below.

Speculoos Pancakes
 Yield: 10 pancakes

1 cup flour

¾ cup buttermilk
¼ cup whole milk
½ cup Trader Joe's Speculoos Cookie Butter, plus more for serving
1 teaspoon sugar
½ teaspoon each: baking soda, salt
1 large egg
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted

Vegetable oil

Combine all ingredients except vegetable oil in mixing bowl; whisk lightly. It’s OK if there are small lumps and streaks.

Heat 2 teaspoons vegetable oil in a large skillet over high heat. When hot, wipe away excess oil with a paper towel, leaving a thin film on entire surface. Reduce heat to medium-high; add batter in ¼ cup portions. Cook until bubbles appear at edges. Flip; cook other side. Repeat with remaining batter, adding more oil as necessary.

Serve pancakes topped with more Speculoos spread, along with maple syrup and sliced bananas, if you like.

If you can’t find Speculoos cookie spread in your grocer, there is a recipe for making your own here.

Per pancake: 169 calories; 9g fat; 3g saturated fat; 27mg cholesterol; 18g carbohydrates; 4g protein; 209mg sodium; no fiber.

Recipe adapted from The Chicago Tribune Good Eating Cookbook by former Good Eating writer Pat Dailey from a recipe by Ina Pinkney at Inas Kitchen.
  
This post is linked to:

1 comment:

The Quintessential Magpie said...

I wish I had a stack right now!

XO,

Sheila