Friday, June 7, 2013

“The Waffle Lady’s” Molasses Cookies

 I commented to my mother once that my Great Aunt Ida had looked old all of my life.  She laughed and said that Ida (affectionately known as Idie) had looked old all of her life.  Born in 1892, she was a simple woman.  She had to be, at an early age an accident took the majority of her sight.  Over the course of the years she lost her hearing as well.  Despite these infirmities, and the fact that she had no family of her own, forcing her to live with my grandmother, she took things pretty much in stride.  She never got depressed, and always made the best of what little she had.  Amazingly she was able to sew her own clothes on an ancient Singer sewing machine (that I now have), and do a bit of cooking and baking.

My boys never knew her physically, but know of her because of the stories we’ve told.  One in particular gave her a nickname that stuck and she was, henceforth, known as The Waffle Lady.


My grandmother happened to be out of town on one of Aunt Idie’s birthdays, so mother and I made her a nice lunch, complete with German Chocolate Cake (her -- and my -- favorite), and took it over to her.  It was always difficult conversing because she had such trouble hearing, so we pretty much had to shout everything when we spoke.

After our ample, but delicious lunch, mother commented on how full she was.  I added that I was full as well.  Idie just looked at us, blankly.

I’m full! mother shouted.

Idie looked from her to me.

I’m full! I shouted.

Idie looked back at mother.

WE’RE. ALL. FULL.  mother screeched.

Idie nodded, a puzzled look on her face.

I like waffles too, she replied.

We burst into laughter and then, slowly and loudly, managed to explain to her exactly what we had said.  She laughed and said that it just sounded as if we were both saying, WAFFLE, WAFFLE adding that she couldn't figure out the significance of our talking about waffles, but went along with it to appease us. Ever since that time, when someone says something that the other doesn’t understand, the tongue-in-cheek reply is, I like waffles too.

So while my sons’ generation and those that follow will never know her, I am sure that this story will prevail. 
Mother, me, and The Waffle Lady ca. 1975
This recipe is the only one that I ever remember her making, but it is a good one.  She just called them Molasses Cookies, but to give them provenance, I call them –

The Waffle Lady’s Molasses Cookies

¾ cup soft softening (Crisco)
1 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg, room temperature, beaten to blend
1/3 cup molasses
2-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground cloves
1/8 teaspoon salt

Sugar for rolling

Preheat oven to 350°F.  Cream shortening and sugar together until thoroughly blended.  Add molasses, followed by beaten egg.  In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, spices, soda and salt.  Add flour mixture to molasses mixture, mixing just until blended.  Shape dough into 1 balls and roll in additional sugar.  Place on greased baking sheets and bake 10-12 minutes for a soft cookie, 15-17 minutes for a crisp cookie.

This post is linked to:




8 comments:

Linda said...

I have a photo of myself, taken in 1973, with a dress very similar to yours. ;) I had to run and look at my old recipe box to see if I had the same molasses cookie recipe. They are very much like yours. It would be fun to have a recipe taste-testing of all those old recipes.

Your Waffle Lady has that sweet look that my Mom and Granny and aunts all had - makes me miss them so much.

When you write a book like your blog posts, be sure and let me know - I'll be first in line to buy it.

Unknown said...

This looks like a perfect cookie to bake next, given that I have some molasses to spare. Thank you for sharing.

The Quintessential Magpie said...

LOL! I love this story, Pattie. It is just wonderful!

And so are those cookies.

XO,

Sheila

Carole said...

Oh, that 1970's maxi dress takes me back - I had one that was bright orange and velour! Cheers

AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa said...

What a cute post! I wish I knew the Waffle Lady! Thanks for recipe...pinning! Molasses are one of my favorites. Visiting from Be Inspired and following you!

Carolina HeartStrings said...

Great post and pictures! The cookies look delicious.

Mary said...

Pattie~ Those cookies look wonderful but I love the waffle lady story and photos :)

Debra@CommonGround said...

Love this post, my mom used to make these and they bring back great memories!!