Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Delicious ABM Orange Rolls

 I am on a roll (if you’ll pardon the pun) with successful adaptations of bread recipes for the bread machine.  Still delighted with the success of the Ham and Cheddar rolls, I decided to work up something for breakfast.  I wanted something citrus-y and pleasantly sweet that would pair equally with hot or iced coffee or a glass of cold milk.  I found the original recipe in an issue of The Cottage Journal magazine and decided to give it a try.  Talk about perfection!  These delicious rolls, warm from the oven and topped with the zesty glaze, are bakery shop quality.  Melt-in-your-mouth fantastic, they also freeze beautifully so you can always have plenty on hand for guests, if, of course, you are willing to share.  My guess is that this recipe would also be wonderful replacing the orange oil and zest with lemon.  I'll let you know.

Delicious ABM Orange Rolls
Makes 12 rolls

3
¼ cups all-purpose flour
¼ cup sugar
1 (
¼-ounce) package rapid-rise yeast
1 teaspoon salt
¼ cup warm water
1 extra-large egg
1/3 cup butter, melted and cooled
½ cup sour cream
½ teaspoon orange oil (or extract, if you must)

2 tablespoons butter, room temperature
½ cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons orange zest

Place the first 9 ingredients into the work bowl of your bread machine in the order suggested by the manufacturer.  Select the dough setting and press start.

Meanwhile, spray 12 muffin cups with nonstick cooking spray and make glaze:

Orange Glaze
Makes about ½ cup

2 cups confectioners
sugar
1 teaspoon orange zest
3 to 5 tablespoons orange juice

In medium bowl, whisk together sugar, orange zest, and just enough orange juice, starting with the smaller amount, to reach desired consistency.

When the bread machine has completed its cycle, remove the dough to a floured surface and roll dough into a 15x8-inch rectangle. Spread with softened butter, then sprinkle evenly with brown sugar and orange zest. Starting at the long side, roll up dough tightly in a jelly-roll fashion. Place seam side down, and tuck ends under. Using a sharp knife, cut into 1-1/4-inch-thick slices. Squeeze together at the bottom so that the top pops up and place slices in prepared muffin cups.

Cover rolls with kitchen towel, and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, for 1 hour or until doubled in size (Check by pressing finger ½ inch into dough; indentation should remain.)

Preheat oven to 350°F.  Uncover rolls, and bake for 13 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove rolls to a wire rack, and drizzle with Orange Glaze while warm.

This post is linked to:





7 comments:

Carole said...

Pattie, just popped over to let you know that your link to Food on Friday: Ham was featured in my Need Some Inspiration? Series today. Hope you are having a good week.

PS Those rolls look just fantastic!

FABBY'S LIVING said...

Oh my goodness...everytime I come here I get cravings for something sweet or whatever you post, my friend! Big hugs,
FABBY

Savannah Granny said...

PattIe, These sound so good. I used a similar recipe from Southern Living that used the frozen bread loaf dough. I do know that fresh made would be so much better.
Thank you for following. I have not been posting a lot lately. I have been trying to get my yard work done before the intense heat hits Savannah.
Thank you for following, ginger

Savannah Granny said...

Forgot to ask you, did you sell your house? I saw the house blog. It is a lovely home. Just wondering if you sold it.
My daughter lives in southern Illinois. We usually go to St Louis shopping whenever I visit.
Blessings,

Linda said...

Must you describe these so deliciously? ;) I received my new bread machine last night - so excited! First on my list is the ham-cheddar rolls, and now I'll had to add these yummy-looking rolls to the list.

Unknown said...

These look fantastic! I want one or two! I will have to save this recipe.
Blessings My Friend,

AG said...

These orange rolls look so yummy! Mmmm; love the sheen in that glaze; I just want to lick my screen! :) Thank you so much for linking up with me this week at Tasty Tuesdays! I’ve pinned this & shared it with my followers!