Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Glazed Grape Meatloaf


People collect some strange things: bugs, bottle caps, twist ties, beer cans, the list could go on forever. Me?  I collect meatloaf recipes. If the recipe has an unexpected ingredient, all the better. It never ceases to amaze me all of the delicious variations that can be made from a pound of ground beef, an egg, and breadcrumbs. That's why this recipe, sent to me by a friend, captured my attention. Never in all of my meatloaf-making days did I ever make one with grape jelly. The original recipe called for a pound and a half of ground beef and a cup of bread crumbs, a ratio that didn't quite seem right to me, so the following version is my own adaptation.  (I kicked up the horseradish as well.). Mr. O-P's nephew from New Jersey joined us for dinner. He loved the meatloaf, in fact, he is still talking about it.
Glazed Grape Meatloaf

1 pounds ground chuck
2/3 cup Italian bread crumbs
1 extra large egg, lightly beaten
1 tablespoon dried minced onion
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1/2 cup grape jam or jelly
1/2 cup ketchup
1 T prepared mustard
2 teaspoons prepared horseradish

In a medium bowl, combine bread crumbs, eggs, onion, salt and pepper; whisk together to blend well. In a separate bowl combine jam, ketchup, mustard and horseradish; whisk to blend. Add half the jam mixture to bread crumb mixture, stir to blend.  Crumble the ground chuck into this mixture, and mix until all is incorporated.

Shape meat into a loaf. Place in a shallow baking pan. Spoon remaining grape mixture over top. Bake, uncovered, in a 400° F oven for 45 to 50 minutes or until meat is done.


Makes 4 servings

This post is linked to:

4 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Dropping by to say hi!

You should stop by and link up to my summer recipe round up! http://lifelovelibrarianship.com/summer-recipe-round-up/

~Visiting from Anyonita Nibbles~

~~louise~~ said...

Gee, Pattie, I've never heard of someone collecting meat loaf recipes which I of course think is a delectable idea.

I can imagine this meat loaf being memorable because I have made grape jelly tiny meat balls, a recipe from a Welch's recipe book posted long ago, and they were oh so good!

Thank you so much for sharing and...collecting:)

AG said...

I've never heard of grape meatloaf before! :) It looks amazing & moist, though! :) Thank you so much for linking up with me this week at Tasty Tuesdays! I’ve pinned this & shared it with my followers! Please be sure to stop back by the party and check out some of the other links!

BigLarrr said...

Looked for this specifically since we have made the grape jam/BabyRay's mini meatballs a few times and they have always been a hit.
I expect this Will be every bit as tasty