Thursday, June 27, 2013

Brussels Sprouts Bisque

 
Inasmuch as I love salads and find the endless variety to be the perfect accompaniment to a summer meal, sometimes I like to mix things up a bit and start with soup. At the dinner I hosted a few nights ago with the Grape Glazed Meatloaf, I began the meal with a soup as unique as the main dish. I refused to reveal the ingredients until getting a thumbs up from diners all around. The inclusion of mace and nutmeg threw people a bit with guesses from pumpkin to leek to sweet potato.  No one guessed that the main ingredient was Brussels Sprouts. That seconds were requested suggested that this recipe is definitely a keeper. 

I'd like to be able to lay claim to the recipe (my sole contribution was the bacon and chopped chives), but it is actually from the delightful book Is It Soup Yet? A Cookbook for Soup Lovers by Dot Vartan.   The book is a visual as well as culinary treat with illustrations by Shelley Reeves Smith. Rather than type out the recipe, I am reproducing it below. Enjoy this meager glimpse of a delightful book, and the tasty soup as well. 





This post is linked to:

3 comments:

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Pattie, this sounds absolutely delicious. We have been trying to come up with things to tempt my MIL to eat. She is very ill and doesn't want to eat much. Mostly she is eating liquid custard and pound cake, but I think this might be something she could eat. I bought her some really good cheese grits (very creamy) from a local restaurant, and she ate some of them yesterday. But I think a thick soup might be the ticket.

Sending you love across the miles...

XO,

Sheila

Tracy's Living Cookbook said...

What an unusual recipe! And I adore the illustrations from the cookbook!

Sheila said...

I have this book! And I have the one with the muffin recipes.