Thursday, June 6, 2013

Off the beaten path: Zoar, Ohio

 I LOVE to plan trips.  In fact, sometimes I think that I may enjoy planning a trip more than actually taking the trip.  Mr. O-P is from New Jersey so this means many trips east.  Many, long trips DRIVING east.  After ten years or so, this same trip can get pretty boring.  A couple of years ago I decided to attempt to make the drive less monotonous by looking for another route and something interesting to see off of our usually beaten path.  It was then that I stumbled upon Zoar, Ohio.

Zoar is a village in Tuscarawas County, Ohio.  It was founded in 1817 by German religious dissenters called the Society of Separatists of Zoar.  A former communal society, it features numerous German-style structures that have been restored and are part of the Zoar Village State Memorial.  For a taste of Old-World charm in east-central Ohio, it is well worth a visit.






 


 

 This post is linked to:
  

8 comments:

Enchanting Beginnings said...

Awesome! I live in Ohio and I've never heard of Zoar. Off to see how close it is to me...

Sarah said...

Zoar certainly has some beautiful gardens. Thanks for taking us along.

Mary@mydogsmygardenandmary said...

Wow, I lived in Ohio until I was 21 and I never heard of this town. I lived up by Lake Erie - then to Jefferson. Beautiful - the homes are terrific.
Mary

Suz said...

Wonderful photos of the charming homes.

Linda said...

I've always imagined myself living in a house like one of those. Alas, it has never happened. Lovely photos. Thanks for letting me dream. :)

Ann @ Corner of Plaid and Paisley said...

I don't live far from Zoar, yet I haven't been there in years!! Your photos are beautiful. You have captured the quaintness for sure!

The Quintessential Magpie said...

What a cute, cute town. I would love to visit here.

XO,

Sheila

Mary said...

How picturesque! I love the gingerbread detail on the porch flying the flag and the colorful painted house with the rhodies!